Monday, October 24, 2005

slow again

Hi...okay, I know I am gonna be doing a ton of catch-up today, so I might end up writing this in installments. I've got a lot of writing to do about the weekend! But, I'll try to keep it short & sweet. (Or however short is possible, for me.)

Friday night, Dan & I planned to spend a quiet night at home, but as he is wont to do, he got all excited about fixing a laptop of his, so we ended up bundling up and trekking all the way out to Central Square in Cambridge to shop at MicroCenter for a part that he needed. It's a pretty cool place, though, and I had fun there. I ended up finally finding a copy of Game Developer magazine (which was much smaller than I had anticipated), as well as a much-needed CD folder-type-thingy (the majority of my latest CDs have been just hanging out on empty spindles, but I'd much prefer not to have to pull them all off the spindle to find a specific one each time!). We stopped at the Trader Joe's next door to buy a few edibles, and then headed home to continue the (briefly interrupted) quiet night at home. :)

Saturday morning I woke up pretty early to get some chores & reading done, but didn't get through much of that (I'm too easily distracted). Karen called me from the JFK/UMass T stop at around noon, and we met up in a damp & chilly Harvard Square to eat yummy wraps and delicious Jimmy Carter smoothies, mmm! That and Karen's fun company was definitely worth the trek out in the dreary weather. We had some fantastic conversation over lunch, mostly about our new "adult" lives and goals. Karen is awesome - I'm so glad I've gotten the chance to get to know her! And, hopefully, we'll get to hang out lots more when she & Josh move to Boston, yay!

We spent an hour-ish wandering around Urban Outfitters, where I bought a few gifts for various people (I love that store, it's so much fun). Then we parted ways, and I headed back home. Dan and I had some lunch and hung around the house until early that evening, when we had to once again bundle up (this time in waterproof gear!) to head out to Christine & Paolo's new place for a housewarming/birthday party. Their apartment, while unfortunately rather far from the Malden Center T stop, is really nice - very old-fashioned, but of course adorable when you mix that with Christine's fantastic decorating sensibilities! The party was fun - I got to catch up with a few Vassarites (Anna, Casie, and Julia), but I am looking forward to getting a chance to visit Christine's place again and possibly have a nice little dinner double-date. :) (Surprising as it sounds considering my past record, parties can just be a little too much for me these days...I much favor the one-on-one experience, now.) Anyway, we'll see!

We caught the last train back into Boston around midnight, and were very grateful to come home to a warm, dry house. Ugh, this weather is killing me. (In more ways than one - I've been getting some pretty bad shooting hip pains - arthritis? - these past few days, and I'm not enjoying that one bit. Stupid weather - isn't good for my hip, my doc says.)

Sunday morning, I woke up a bit late, but managed to make it all the way out to Mind's Eye Yarns in Porter Square only a few minutes after 1 o'clock, for my scheduled private spinning class! I wasn't sure what to expect, as I had never done any yarn-spinning whatsoever before, but I really enjoyed learning & had a lot of fun. Lucy, the store's proprietor, taught me drop-spindle spinning, and I now have to practice for about 20 minutes every night - I want to get good at this! It'd be so fun to knit things from my own yarn! Sheep-to-sweater, as I say. :)

I plan to go back on Thursday night for the group classes - we'll see!

Sunday was another one of those let's-avoid-going-out-in-the-crappy-weather days, otherwise. But, Dan convinced me to hike all the way out to the Loew's on the Boston Common to see Doom, featuring the Rock! It was all right, considering the cast - I liked the story, and it was neat how they spent a little time doing some first-person-shooting, just like in the actual game. And, they did have a BFG and a spinning, hovering gun, so Dan & I were pleased! :) The ending did seem rather quickly abandoned, I think. Otherwise, it was pretty fun, though. For a silly-distraction movie.

Well, the awful weather continues! We'll see how long I can hold out before I have to pop a Vicodin. My hip was being pretty terrible to me last night, but since around 8 this morning, it's been doing all right. Cross your fingers for me that the shooting pains don't return! xoxo

Currently Reading:

TITLE: Lies My Teacher Told Me
AUTHOR: James W. Loewen


TITLE: Dark Tide
AUTHOR: Stephen Puleo

No comments: