Friday, May 05, 2006

SP8 survey

Wow, what the hell happened -- it's Friday already?! And I haven't even posted about last weekend...I'll do that soon. Maybe. :)

For now, this post will probably only be interesting to one person...and I have no idea who that person is! I'm talking about my Secret Pal 8, and I was supposed to fill this out by the end of the week. As usual, I left it till the last minute (what a surprise).

Anyway, here goes:

  1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
    I find I really like natural fibers, but I'm always willing to give a good man-made one a shot! It really depends on the project for me -- and I almost always try to stick to the yarn the pattern calls for, if I can help it. I know, BORING! But I've had too many problems crop up when I try to choose my own yarn.


  2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
    A pink Ashland Sky tall "Stick Sack".


  3. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
    Ummm...advanced beginner? I don't know. I have been knitting since I was 15, but for years the only things I would attempt were scarves. Since I branched out a bit more several years ago, I have knitted socks, sweaters, toys, pillows, washcloths, baby blankets, baby clothes, bags, even checkerboards -- but nothing all too "advanced". Hopefully that'll give you an idea....


  4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
    Yes -- it can be found here here. It's not nearly comprehensive, but all of the things listed on it are things I'm interested in.


  5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
    vanilla


  6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
    Do I ever! I'll eat almost anything (save for white chocolate & coconut) that has sugar in it! Wow, I couldn't even begin to pinpoint a favorite candy, but I should say I do love chocolate & peanut butter, and things like Sour Patch Kids, Skittles, Peeps, stuff like that. (Is that even a cohesive genre? Hehe.) I'll add more if I think of anything! I should keep a list for times when questions like this pop up!


  7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
    I'm always interested in new projects & ideas, but I have to say I sadly rarely do many DIY crafts. I do love to cook & bake, though, if that counts. And I am just now learning to spin; I plan to get a spinning wheel very soon. (I'll probably write more on that within the next few weeks.)


  8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
    Hmm. I hate to go with this answer because I know it's a cop-out, but I really do like a little bit of everything. Some of my favorites ARE listed in my profile (and my MySpace page!), but I would totally love to hear a CD of stuff that my SP8 likes! If they are so inclined. I really like being introduced to new music!


  9. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
    Pink & blue are my favorites (any shade of each, really). But, like my musical tastes, I'm really pretty open to everything...if someone else likes it, I'll probably find it at the very least interesting, if not downright cool! Oh, purple shades & green shades are also fun to knit in...


  10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
    My living situation is me & my boyfriend, and we (sadly) have no pets. We wanted a cat, but there's a whole conundrum where the guy who owns our apartment would let us, but the condo association wouldn't. Sigh...in any case, that's a no. :)


  11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
    I wear scarves all winter (thanks to the Boston temperatures!) and hats occasionally, but I have yet to find one I love wearing (that's a life goal of mine)! I am more partial to gloves than mittens (I like having the digital dexterity), and I never, ever wear ponchos. I have disliked that craze from the start, but that's just me -- I've seen plenty of beautifully-knitted ponchos that really flatter other people. They're just not for me.


  12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
    Hmm. I don't think I have one, yet! I do enjoy doing sweaters & tops if I find a pattern I really like, but those are few & far between, sadly!


  13. What are you knitting right now?
    A baby blanket, a baby hat, a flower-shaped washcloth, and I'm about to start some socks, I think.


  14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
    Definitely.


  15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
    Definitely bamboo/wood, seconded by aluminum, and then plastic (I have several of each, though, so I can clearly make do with any!). I prefer straights & dpns to circulars, although I've again got all kinds. I really am open to whatever someone is willing to send my way! :)


  16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
    No, unfortunately!


  17. How did you learn to knit?
    From my mother, 10 years ago. She has a chest full of yarn, my friend asked what was inside, I told her, she said "would you mom teach us to knit?", and the rest was history. (Techniques & other such extras that I needed to learn, I subsequently taught myself from books and/or the internet.)


  18. How old is your oldest UFO?
    Oooh...I don't even know if there is one. I'm one of those people the Yarn Harlot hates, mostly because I have a small apartment and not much room for a huge stash (not to mention that I'm anal and like to finish what I've started!). So um yeah except for the stuff that's OTN (I'd say the blanket is oldest, at a few weeks), I can't say I have any UFOs. (For those non-knitter readers who are actually reading this, a UFO is an UnFinished Object.)


  19. What is your favorite holiday?
    I guess Christmas. Also Easter, because of the springtime motif and of course the candy...


  20. Is there anything that you collect?
    Not that I can think of. Do books count? I definitely hang onto those, and love to buy more! Even though half of the ones I own, I haven't yet gotten around to reading...!


  21. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
    Yes! Definitely Joelle Hoverson's Last-Minute Knitted Gifts (it's on my Amazon wish list), because I want to attempt the hourglass sweater. Otherwise, I tend to like funky, somewhat "trendy" books in the vein of Debbie Stoller's Stitch N Bitch, because those are the kinds of patterns I gravitate to.


  22. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
    Well, embroidery, if that counts. And to crochet. And I'd love a more comprehensive sock book or more good sock patterns -- I really don't knit enough of those. As far as knitting skills go, though, I either don't want to learn anything new at the moment, or I just don't know some skill out there exists that I'd want to learn!


  23. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
    Haha see above...I wouldn't consider myself one because I've only knit a few pairs in my lifetime, but people seemed to like them. It's been quite a while, though... And my foot measurements are...um...I wish I knew. And of course I can't find my tape measure anywhere, grr. I'll have to get back to you on that one. (Clearly I've never knit socks for myself...)


  24. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)
    05/08


p.s. I figured out the Mystery of the Package! Whoo! :) (And thanks, Marshie!)


Currently Reading:

TITLE: Knitting Rules!
AUTHOR: Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

TITLE: Collapse
AUTHOR: Jared Diamond

TITLE: Gone Tomorrow: The Hidden Life of Garbage
AUTHOR: Heather Rogers

TITLE: The Art of Interactive Design
AUTHOR: Chris Crawford



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ah, so you're a Taurus as well!