Wednesday, December 14, 2005

cherry-flavored pez

I am not a Trekkie. In fact, I think in my entire life, I might have watched a single episode of Star Trek, and I don't even think I saw the whole thing. I have never seen Wesley Crusher in action. Then why, you might ask, am I reading Wil Wheaton's book Just A Geek? Well, partly because, growing up in the 80s, I alternated between huge crushes on Wil and River Phoenix after declaring Stand By Me my all-time favorite movie. Partly because I, too, am a geek - and I find it interesting to see what Wil has to say about computers & programming & the like. And partly because I just am interested in what he has to say, period. He always seemed like a likeable guy; I'm finding out from his writing that he seems like an intelligent, witty, entertaining guy, too. I don't know what exactly impelled me to locate the book at the library; I think my interest was sparked last year some time, when Dan told me that Wil Wheaton had stopped by his website (stargeek.com - where he was writing articles on PHP at the time). I remember saying "no way! that's awesome", and then wondering what he's been up to recently, particularly if he's a computer geek like both of us! So I looked up his website (wilwheaton.net), and I would assume that's where I first saw his book. And I'm glad I added it to my (long) list of to-reads, because I am thoroughly enjoying it so far - even though every single Star Trek reference (except for those common-knowledge ones) is flying right over my head. But, the funny thing is, that doesn't seem to matter. I still laugh at all the jokes and understand what Wil is talking about. (I was tempted to call him Mr. Wheaton right there, but he just doesn't seem the type who would want me to do that.) Wil seems like such a down-to-earth, normal guy - which I guess is true of most famous people (at least especially before they make millions and can afford things, like, say, personal sonogram machines or private nativities for their babies - when you're rich, it's "eccentric", not "certifiably insane"), but I mean, still. It sounds like Wil was never the type of guy to let things get to his head - or, I should say, he definitely appreciates praise, but can also be terribly upset over the smallest criticism - just like the rest of us. And I love that he is geeky enough to teach himself how to create his own website, from the ground up - instead of just hiring someone else to do it for him! (Yes, I realize I'm using blogging software. So websites aren't my thing. I'm more of a program-programmer, heh.) Anyway, I am only about 50 pages into the book, so I don't have a ton to say about it yet, but I just wanted to note that, already, I'd recommend it - especially to geeks (Star Trek ones, particularly!), but really to anyone. It's a lot of fun, so far. I wish him all the best in his future endeavours, be they acting or writing.

Especially because I still harbor that lingering crush on Gordie. xoxo

Currently Reading:

TITLE: Just A Geek
AUTHOR: Wil Wheaton

TITLE: Off The Map
AUTHOR: CrimethInc.


No comments: