Wednesday, April 04, 2007

phone tag

I am enjoying this daily posting thing! I hope I am not getting too boring.

Can I just tell you how bad I am about checking my messages? I just spent 10 minutes cleaning out 11 messages from my cell phone's voicemail. I am not a big phone person, so between my not always wanting to pick up the phone & then my not wanting to check my messages (and the more I get, the less inclined I am to spend time checking them all!), I'd have to recommend to everyone that if you really need to get ahold of me, email might actually be better. (I've always been much more of a computer person than a phone person, anyway.) That, or just keep calling, over & over & over again. I'll get the message! (Pun intended, yes.)

Luckily for me this time, none of the messages were really time-sensitive (although I do have a friend I have to get in touch with about hanging out soon, because apparently I keep missing her invitations!), but still. I made a resolution this year that I would be better about phone messages, and for a while I really was! I also made myself be better about picking up the phone when it rang. But I've let myself slip, pretty badly. It's not that I don't want to talk to the person who is trying to reach me! I adore every single person who I heard on the messages I cleared off today. It's just that I have this phobia of talking on the phone (seriously), and that combined with how when I am in the middle of something I am reluctant to stop what I am doing to answer, makes for a really bad phone friend.

So, to all of you out there who I've shunned, I am sincerely sorry. It wasn't that I was intentionally avoiding any of you. I have actually considered not having a cell phone at all, so I wouldn't have to deal with the phone ever, though. That is how bad it is.

And the fact that I've talked to you on the phone at any point means I really do care. Honestly. Sometimes it can be an effort to make that call, especially when I am calling someone for the first time. I get very anxious about how to interact with someone over a phone line. I worry we won't be able to understand each other, or what I'm saying will be taken the wrong way, or ... I worry about just about everything. Believe me, it's no picnic. I wish I weren't that way. It would make lots of things a hell of a lot easier.

Ah, now that I've let you all stare into the depths of my psyche (scary!), I should get back to work. I just wanted to send out a mass apology to everyone I've ever been bad about the phone with. xoxo

If you want to talk about this with me, I suggest emails. Heh.

Currently Reading:

TITLE: The Blind Assassin (audiobook)
AUTHOR: Margaret Atwood

TITLE: Best Friends
AUTHOR: Martha Moody

1 comment:

wenders said...

Oi, I totally agree. I am SO not a phone person, mainly because people want to talk on the phone when I want to be home, knitting or reading or talking to someone in person... basically, you're not alone! :)