Thursday, June 02, 2005

Tom Hanks!

Oh, my goodness - I can't believe I forgot one of the coolest things I did while I was in CT! My sister and I went to see Tom Hanks give the graduation address at Vassar! And boy, was it kinda weird being back...but I ran into some very cool people (Radiyah, Tara, Ian, and TC!) and saw several more that I recognized. The feeling of being back was indescribeable...very odd, off-putting. But it was so cool to see Tom Hanks give the address. Bethany & I arrived right as the procession was ending, and I was watching the professors to see if I recognized any of them (sadly, very few). All of the sudden, there's Fran (the president) bringing up the rear, with Tom Hanks at her side! He passed within a few feet of us, saying "Hi, kids" to the general adoring public, and Bethany was ecstatic.

We killed time until he gave his speech, and then watched it from high up on the hill. It was a very good speech, very Tom Hanks, and cute, but like my friend who graduated said (and I agree), there could have been a bit more to it. Oh, well. Graduation speeches are tough to write! Especially if one wants to avoid cliche, which is almost impossible to do these days. Anyway, I thought it was a very good speech. You can view it here, although I don't know for how long it will be up. Maybe I'll post it on my website, later on.

Anyway, better get back to work for now! Ciao.

No comments: