Friday, September 16, 2005

Frank vs. Timothy

In the past week, I have seen two entirely different movies - The Transporter 2 and Grizzly Man. And I don't think the heros of either one could be further apart on the spectrum than these two men are, either. One is like a well-oiled machine, honed for getting by in this tough adult world,and one is, well,...not.

Transporter 2 was a very fun movie, full of good action sequences - but there's not much to say about it, beyond that. Grizzly Man was quite a different animal altogether (pun not intended, but I like it, so I'm going to leave it). The story of Timothy Treadwell, friend to the grizzlies, was unbelievable...the way that man lived with the bears as if they were his close friends, and then died at their hands...it was so intense and odd and interesting. He truly believed in what he was doing, and his hammed-up personality in front of the screen was just who he was. He was passionate about his cause and unfailingly loyal to his "friends" (the bears and foxes), but so unbelievably childlike in so many ways, even though he must have been in his late 30s/early 40s when he died. My father and I left the theater just boggled by the documentary & what it told us about Timothy's life. I don't know if I'd recommend the movie to all, but it is quite an intriuging and off-beat story, if you are in the mood for something like that. Definitely not what I expected, but then again, what exactly does one expect when they go to see the story of a man who lived & died with Alaskan grizzly bears?

Currently Reading:

TITLE: V for Vendetta
AUTHOR: Alan Moore & David Lloyd


TITLE: Evasion
AUTHOR:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.