Thursday, August 23, 2007

bad luck

I'm just waiting for #3.

Here's thus far:

1. Last night, I was out at dinner and my card got declined. Declined! I've actually never had that happen to me before, although apparently it's pretty common (that's the consensus, anyway). I knew right away what was wrong: I am supposed to be receiving a new card (upgrade PLUS new # - and it's black! ooo) in the mail, but I haven't yet. I figured my old one would work until the new one arrived, but it's now about 3 weeks late getting to me, so when I didn't activate the new guy, they just shut off the old one. Doesn't make any sense to me, because you'd think they'd realize that the old one was still showing regular activity, and the new one wasn't showing any at all. Don't they have systems to track that? Whatever. Anyway, I luckily had money in my checking account so was able to pay using my debit card, but gosh was that an awful feeling. You wonder if people look at you differently. Although I'd guess that wait staff see that kind of thing a lot more than I know...and I'm sure it's not all people who have just charged their card into oblivion. But still.

2. This morning, everything was going fine on my way to work, until I entered my office building. I said good morning to the guard as per usual, and then proceeded towards this little set of stairs I normally take, which gets me up about a half level...it's all very hard to explain, but very public. So one second I am walking along, not a care in the world (hah, not likely), and the next I am flat on my back. Seriously. I don't even remember the falling part! Oh, and then I realize that I'm soaking wet. Apparently the pretty little decorative waterfall right next to the stairs overflowed...a LOT. The puddle was a few inches deep. But, because of the color of the marble floor and because the stairs are kind of in shadow (also difficult to explain), it was almost invisible, even after I stood up to take a look at my surroundings. Well, to make a long story short, the guard made sure I was okay, gave me access to the fitness center (so I could blow-dry my jeans!), and I was on my way, just really embarassed. (The woman in the fitness center bathroom with me must've thought I had lost my marbles, aiming the hairdryer at my ass, which, by the way, doesn't look very wet). I've got bruises forming already on my upper thigh and shin, ugh. All I can say from that experience is: ow.

So, the way my luck has been going, I just hope #3 isn't awful; I don't think I could stand it. xo

Currently Reading:

TITLE: Close to the Machine: Technophilia and Its Discontents
AUTHOR: Ellen Ullman

1 comment:

wenders said...

Dude, worker's comp. :)

And I've had my card declined. It happens - annoying, but true. :)