Wednesday, April 09, 2008

the big one

Wow. This is the first time I can actually say that I read the winner of the Pulitzer Prize for fiction this year, thanks to my book club. I probably never would have picked the book up myself, if it weren't for them. But I did absolutely love it - largely for its geeky references, though...and good writing, of course. :) I'll have to keep an eye out for future work from Mr. Diaz.

I'm lucky, too, because it was a close call - I didn't read either of the other 2 nominees, which were Tree of Smoke by Denis Johnson Shakespeare’s Kitchen by Lore Segal.

Maybe I'll have to add those to my ever-growing list, though....

xo

1 comment:

Bill said...

Tree of Smoke was interesting but I ultimately was not a big fan (although I seem to be one of the lone dissenters on that opinion.) I think I wrote a quick review on goodreads of it, in some ways I think that it's a more interesting book to discuss than to actually read...

(I do now have to check out that other book since you give it a good recommendation!)