Wednesday, October 18, 2006

the beach

Oddly appropriately (that sounds wrong, but it works, considering the knitting project that this post was originally going to be about), I was actually on the beach, for the first time in maybe years, this past weekend. I (and Boston CodePINK) participated in Arlington East bright & early on Saturday morning (and by "bright & early" I mean I woke up at 3:30am in order to be ready to be picked up an hour later) at the Coast Guard Beach in Cape Cod. We set up 2,700 crosses to indicate the soldiers killed in the war, and 200 gravestones in memory of the many Iraqi children who are counted as casualties.



Photos taken by Veteran for Peace Ken, who coordinated the effort.

It was an amazing & sadly beautiful experience, and one I hope I never have to experience again (meaning, let's get peace happening soon).

On a much brighter note, I've been having a lot of fun knitting up Seaside from MagKnits. I decided to go with a beautiful rose color instead of the pattern's blue, and so far I'm really happy with that choice -- they are very soft & delicate gloves, so the pink seems to fit just right.




Here are some "in progress" shots of the work -- you can see that so far I've knitted the arm & the pinky. Next up is the pointer finger, which means that when I am done I can make the "devil horns" hand sign & have two very toasty extended digits! :)


Currently Reading:

TITLE: Bitchfest
AUTHOR: Lisa Jervis & Andi Zeisler

TITLE: The Time Traveler's Wife
AUTHOR: Audrey Niffenegger



No comments: