Monday, September 11, 2006

another 2-fer

Awesome weekend, busy and tres full of friends and activities. I know I have a zillion & one things to catch up on, but I wanted to get 2 book reviews in here before they get too old (one is already going to be quite a stretch!).

TITLE: Bitter is the New Black: Confessions of a Condescending, Egomaniacal, Self-Centered Smartass,Or, Why You Should Never Carry A Prada Bag to the Unemployment Office
AUTHOR: Jen Lancaster

I read this book over my trip to Austin, when I should have been reading The Beauty Myth in order to look much more "with it" relative to the other women, but alas, that was the book I found more engaging, and thus much easier to fly through (and, coincidentally, fly with). I didn't actually read it "in public" at the CodePink retreat, though, so I guess I'm safe (or was, until I just admitted it on the internet...). Like I said, the book was an incredibly fast read, and amusing enough, but also pretty forgettable -- I am less than a month out of having finished it, and I barely remember specifics. Jen Lancaster definitely had a great wit & humour about her (especially as she examined her own foibles), and it was a lot of fun. She especially loved herself those footnotes! (They did always add a laugh -- and sometimes forced an audible one from me -- so I am not complaining.) I'd suggest this one, like Weekend In Paris, as a fun beach or while-traveling read. Easy to focus on & follow. (Oh, and I read this one because of my book club -- we wanted a much lighter book after having made it all the way through Misfortune!)

TITLE: Eve Green
AUTHOR: Susan Fletcher

I just finished this one this morning, and it was good, although not the best. I didn't find it nearly as moving as I thought I would, or even as I think I should have, regarding the content -- I really very easily tear up at the endings of other books of this genre (a rather sad & nostalgiac book, one that yearns for days gone by -- especially, to rewrite those days gone by). But while I did find myself growing attached to little Evie Green (or was it Jones?), I found the writing slightly too distant for me to latch onto, emotionally. I was, however, struck by some really great descriptions and some lovely images. I would definitely consider picking up Ms. Fletcher's next book; I think she's got immense potential. This story certainly showed that she has a story-weaving gift in her.

Okay, I really ought to get running, as I've got a Boston Knit Out planning meeting at Borders soon, followed by a movie date with Dan to see The Protector! I promise promise promise (especially to all of you who have been pestering me to post more; I'm sorry!) that I will try my best to post more frequently, very soon. This week is just really crazy, as I head back to CT (for work, and Sarah's birthday!) on Wednesday morning, and believe I'll be working long hours away from any computers (eek! the horrors!) through Friday. But, we shall see how I do.

For now, I love you all & I promise you I'm still here! xoxo

Currently Reading:

TITLE: The Beauty Myth
AUTHOR: Naomi Wolf



No comments: