Tuesday, April 11, 2006

i give up.

I am so loath to say this, because I almost never, ever give up on a book, but...I am going to stop reading Feminism Without Borders. I don't feel quite as bad because I'm the only holdout; all the rest of the book group gave up on it weeks (and many pages fewer) ago. I stuck it out to page 88, but I realized I just don't want to spend my time on it anymore, as interested as I am in what it has to say. I just feel like it's taking me way too long. I had really hoped to learn something from it, but I didn't come away with much. Sigh.

I hate this feeling most of all because it's taking me so long because it's terribly dense -- and I feel like the stupidest person in the world for not being able to get through it! I suppose I can comfort myself knowing that I could make it to the end, but I'm consciously choosing not to. There are other books I want to spend my time on, more.

For now, it's the already-quick read, Hawkes Harbor by S.E. Hinton, of The Outsiders fame! (It's a really refreshing change of pace!) The Outsiders is one of my favorite books (not to mention movies!), and I was thrilled to learn that, after a 15+ year hiatus, Ms. Hinton was back to writing -- and this time, with a book for adults! I'm still not sure what I think of it, but it is very engaging. It's a thriller, from what I gather, although it has yet (at 66 pages in) to get very scary. But, with a quote from R.L. Stine (master of teen horror) on the back, I think my hunch is right.

I'll keep you guys posted. :) xoxo

Currently Reading:

TITLE: Collapse
AUTHOR: Jared Diamond

TITLE: Feminism Without Borders
AUTHOR: Chandra Talpade Mohanty

TITLE: Hawkes Harbor
AUTHOR: S.E. Hinton

TITLE: The Art of Interactive Design
AUTHOR: Chris Crawford



No comments: