Thursday, March 09, 2006

much better week

Hi, I'm back! And feeling much better than I was last week! A lot has happened that I should probably catch everyone up on, but I'll try to keep this entry short. I know I can get long-winded at times.

Well, I started feeling a lot better on Thursday night/Friday, and so by Saturday deemed myself well enough to travel back to CT for the afternoon for my oldest sister's get-together/clothing swap/potluck/etc. Bethany & I traveled down together by bus and arrived about an hour beforehand, and spent that time baking a delicious vanilla angel food cake, yum! Then the swap happened, and I mostly spent that time picking at the hors d'oeuvres and hanging out with Jen (my best friend since 8th grade), who I was so happy to get to see. Later that evening I wasn't feeling quite so well, so I went to bed early (rather than going to see The Pietasters like I had once hoped to do with Tanya that night!).

The next day I attended church with my mom and then Bethany & I packed our bags and the family (sans Sarah) piled into the car to have breakfast in Hartford on the way to the bus station. The bus ride back was uneventful, and I managed to make my CodePink meeting just in time, by going there straight from the bus station. Afterward, Dan & I had a nice dinner back at the 'Snake - I definitely had my appetite (and then some) back by then!

Monday I was back at work full-time (the first real, full day I had put in since before leaving for Japan!), and then I attended a fun-but-brief Knitting for the Greater Good meeting at Boston Cares. Everyone there was knitting baby goods to be put in baskets for needy mothers-to-be; I had already knitted one blanket & am now working on an adorable hat (pictures soon!). I met Dan at Borders when the meeting was done, and we had a delicious sushi dinner at Ueno down the street.

Tuesday night, I got to have yet another delicious dinner (sooo glad my food appetite is back, although I'm certainly gaining back any weight I may have lost from not eating all last week!) with my friend Jess, who I hadn't seen in ages. We were had a hankering for Chinese, and really wanted to go back to this place we had been to with Jess' & Dan's old kickboxing crew, but neither of us knew the name, so we couldn't look it up. So we figured we'd wing it, and see how we did. And we did great! We managed to find the place with no trouble at all - almost like we were regulars! :) We had an amazing meal of crab rangoon, spicy green beans, calamari, and sesame chicken (cue mouth watering). And, we were back to being the minorities in the room (this place is downstairs and rather out of the way, so I don't think many people find out about it unless they know someone who knows it) - it felt like I was back in Japan, as we were 2 of maybe 4 Caucasians there. But the service & food were fantastic, and we didn't get nearly as many stares (none, in fact) as we did when we were in Ube, so it's all good. :) And of course the company was fantastic, as well - it was so wonderful to be able to finally catch up with Jess after so long!

Yesterday morning, I volunteered for the first time at the Women's Lunch Place over on Newbury Street, a fitting (but completely unintended) way to celebrate International Women's Day! It was...interesting, as I was a newbie & had absolutely no idea what to do or when, but I think I will get to like it as I get used to things. I've made a 6-month commitment with them, to work 7-9am every Wednesday morning. I hope this works out! It sounds like such a fun opportunity.

Yesterday night, Dan & I went on our newly-designated weekly food-shopping trip to Whole Foods, where we spent a ton of money but stocked up on some great stuff! Yum, I can't wait to eat it. :) But that won't be happening tonight, as we are meeting Christine & Paolo at the Elephant Walk for a prix fixe dinner (for Restaurant Week)! Mmm, THAT I also can't wait for! I have been a couple of times and have never been disappointed by their Cambodian-French blend.

So for now, I have to go finish work. I have got to start getting into the habit of posting more regularly, I know. I'll try, I promise! xoxo

Currently Reading:

TITLE: The Pollen Room
AUTHOR: Zoe Jenny

TITLE: Feminism Without Borders
AUTHOR: Chandra Talpade Mohanty



No comments: