Friday, June 08, 2007

does the "US" part stand for "u suck"?

As much as I hate to use "u" in place of "you", I'm seriously starting to wonder if, in fact, the first 2 letters in "USPS" don't actually stand for "United States", after all....

This is the second time in less than a month that I've received "special delivery" from the USPS, which basically means an empty envelope, correctly stamped & addressed to me, sealed in a clear plastic sleeve that is printed on the outside with an apology of "sorry, sometimes these things happen, can't be helped!" and instructions to help prevent this in the future by being sure to seal my mail carefully -- as if I had anything to do with the mail not reaching me.

The first time it happened, I figured, hey, no sweat. It's the first time in 26 years that I've ever seen something like that, and it was more novelty (since the missing mail itself, I could live without) than anything else. But the second time? Now I'm starting to worry.

Neither of the pieces of mail were particularly unusual or anything. One of them was a normal envelope with my paystubs from work (the inside of which arrived several days later in the mailbox, as my address was also printed on the paystub!), and the most recent one was a Netflix mailer, of which I only received the piece of paper with my address on it (if you don't get Netflix, this is kind of hard to explain, but suffice it to say, the DVD did not arrive).

Dan is convinced that someone at the post office finally figured out what all those red envelopes are, haha.

I love the USPS 99% of the time, as I'm a big fan of writing & receiving letters, and of course now of Netflix. Usually, they come through really well. But especially since being up here in Boston, things have kind of taken a downturn in my love affair with the postal service. I am sure some of that has to do with the fact that I'm residing in the most densely populated place that I've ever lived, but I don't know. You'd think they would have ways to deal with that, since Boston has been around longer than almost anywhere else!

Well, I'll continue to write letters & trust the post office, for the most part. But I have to say, I'm really grateful for being able to pay bills online. Gives me (slightly) more peace of mind. xoxo

Currently Reading:

TITLE: Loyal to the Sky
AUTHOR: Marisa Handler

No comments: