Monday, November 01, 2004

more fun things i learned

Wow, Bill Bryson really knows some cool stuff! Let's see...

1. Vamos became vamoose (makes sense) and from there, mosey - that one I was surprised about!

2. The ten-gallon hat is NOT named for the amount of liquid it can hold (I always thought it seemed kind of small for that...) but rather for the braid which decorates it - the Spanish word for braid is galon (with an accent aigu on the "0" there, but I don't know how to code that...I'll have to look into that).

3. The Spanish word for "the lizard" is el lagarto - hence "alligator". Neat, eh?

In other news, I knitted these really neat wristbands today, they were so quick but they look so good! I mean, not on, but the finished product. Er, close to finished - I always put off having to tie up the loose yarn ends, oh how I despise that part! In any case, I think next I'm gonna knit some socks. I have been feeling so productive & creative recently!

I was also gonna watch M tonight (eep scary), but Christine is supposed to call, so I'm gonna read until I get to talk to her (yay!) and I'll watch the movie another night. It's not like I actually have a life; I have plenty of time to watch it! Heh.

Speaking of scary movies, Dan made me watch Dawn of the Dead last weekend (perfect for Halloween, I guess!), which I was so afraid of, but it turned out to be good! I think I might like zombie movies...as Dan and later Kyle pointed out, they present a lot of interesting questions - like: could you kill your best friend if you had to (to prevent the spread of zombies)? Hopefully something you'd never have to consider, but it's an interesting concept...

Um. Not much else to say. I've recently rediscovered how much I love The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books. They are so great. And they are gonna be made into a movie! As is A Confederacy of Dunces. I can't wait. (Oddly enough, both feature Mos Def as principal characters...I find that interesting. I wonder if he's well-read, or if he just liked the parts?)

[later]
In any case, YAY I am in a good mood right now - I just talked on the phone with Christine (The Other Computer Science Girl hehe), and we have plans to hang out at the end of this month when we're both home! AND, I'm talking to one of my best friends in the whole world, Jen - who I had worried didn't like me anymore! So this has all definitely made my night.

No comments: