Saturday, November 27, 2004

i can't believe it's been 5 years.

Well, last night was Farmington High School's class of '99 high school "reunion" thingy - I use the quotes because it was just a gathering at the local bar, not this big organized event. People just showed up between 5 and 8pm, and we stood around in groups talking to people we hadn't seen in ages, for the most part. It was kind of a trip, because people generally looked pretty much the same but a bit older, so it was this weird Twilight Zone return-to-high-school thing, but we were forced to make awkward conversation with people who we weren't ever friends with in high school, and hadn't seen in over 5 years. Odd, all very, very odd. In any case, I actually enjoyed myself more than I thought I would; I managed to spend time only with people that I really wanted to talk to, and avoided (sometimes blatantly) people who I didn't want to talk to. I made it a point not to talk to anyone who I never talked to in high school, because I mean come ON, if we didn't give a shit about each other then, why should we start bothering now?

In any case, it was at the very least a kind of interesting night. I'm glad it's over; next we'll have to see how everyone's changed in 5 more years...!

Right now I'm still in CT (what's new, these days, right?). Well, I guess that's obvious because I was just at my high school reunion, heh. I'm stuck here for a while, though, because I have to figure out all that insurance stuff and go see Dr. Millis in Boston before I can go back to Ithaca! Ugh. So much stupid red tape to deal with. I'm very disappointed that I didn't get to see the doctor on Tuesday like I was supposed to - especially because I had to walk around with my cane all night at my high school reunion, ugh. Oh well. Not many people actually asked, and I'm sure the rest thought I was just being my old eccentric self, heh. I've changed, but they probably don't know that.

Anyhow, so I'm just chilling with the family at the moment. Thanksgiving was really nice; we went to Aunt Yvonne's for the first time EVER (traditionally we have Thanksgiving at my parents' house - it's been that way all my life so far, anyway), and it was really, really nice. She did a great job with everything, and I had fun hanging out with my cousins as usual. Daniel showed me some of his computer science work from school; he looks like such a good programmer! And Erin was there; it's been probably a year since we all got to see her! It was so nice to see everyone again.

Then I drove down to Waterbury to go to a second Thanksgiving dinner at Dan's grandparents' house. I was so nervous about that one! Everyone (Dan, his sister, his mother) had made me scared of that side of his family, hehe. But they turned out to be really very friendly, pleasant people. And it was so nice of Dan to share that part of his life with me. And aww his little cherub cousins were adorable - and they told Danny that they thought I was the prettiest of his girlfriends - nice. They're all good in my book, now! Haha.

Nothing too exciting going on yet today, though. Right now I'm just sitting around reading The Mists of Avalon, which is still a very engaging book. I'm also in the middle of both Catch 22, which is one of the funniest books that I've read in a long time!, and Days of War, Nights of Love, which is a really interesting crimethink piece. They're all going a bit slowly these days because, as always in CT I have much more of a life than I do in NY these days, but I'm enjoying them all, so I'm sure they'll go relatively fast, even considering the amount of time I have to read them.

Hmm, not much else to report on right now. Sorry I keep doing these really long entries but I guess I have to catch up on everything, since I keep going so long between each one. I'll try to be better.

For now, back to my book - ciao!

No comments: