Wednesday, October 13, 2004

wordplay

I've been reading Bill Bryson, who I adore - his The Mother Tongue: English and How It Got That Way. I also adore linguisics and etymology and all that fun stuff, too. So, while I am nearly through with the book (which I really ought to read again, someday, to pick up on all the stuff I missed the first time - a lot like his A Short History of Nearly Everything), I thought I'd note down a few things that have caught my fancy in the past couple of pages.

my new favorite licence place: RUNVS? (well, without the question mark, but it helps)
my new favorite anagram: The Morse Code = Here come dots
my new favorite palindrome: Are we not drawn onward, we few, drawn onward to new era?

And a French rebus: "Ga = J'ai grand appetit" (Say this in French: G grand, a petit.)

A never-erected Burma Shave ad (considered too risque): "If wifie shuns / your fond embrace / don't shoot / the iceman / feel your face."

No comments: