Thursday, October 21, 2004

slobberchops

Now I'm reading Bryson's Made In America: An Informal History of the English Language in the United States. I'm not on a Bill Bryson kick, I just have been meaning to read this one for a while, and I happened to find it in the library the other day. So, anyway, I always learn a zillion neat little facts from his books, I love that. But I always promptly forget them, so I thought I'd record some of 'em here for posterity...or just my own personal reference in the future.

1. Why did we get rid of the word "slobberchops" for a messy eater??

2. I wish I had gotten to see a real, live passenger pigeon. I was doing some research online earlier, because I realized I didn't really know what they look like, and apparently people with stuffed specimens of the bird can make some good money if they eBay 'em! Since they are so rare, or reputedly are - I guess they aren't as rare as some people would like to think (one guy asked upwards of $1 million!), but they still can bring in a couple grand. Not bad.

More later.

No comments: