Friday, December 28, 2007

yet another reason to hate public transportation

Oh, I was ripping mad to see this article today:

Wireless Services Launched in Subway’s Core

Like it wasn't bad enough to have to have half of my train ride (the trolley/above-ground part) taken up having to listen to obnoxious, loud, totally unnecessary phone conversations, now I also have to deal with those people underground, too?!? It used to be somewhat justified when we'd hit Fenway and I'd know that the obnoxious person talking loudly into their cell phone with no regard whatsoever for those around him having to listen to him talk about the latest rash on his ass or how his girlfriend's mother wouldn't take the money he wanted to pay her (because these conversations really must be pressing and got done now) was going to be cut off midsentence when the train went underground...I thoroughly enjoyed gloating while those people would yell a few last "hello?"s into their phone before getting frustrated and hanging up. Of course, I'd rather not have to deal with them at all, but I figured there really was no way to cut off cell phone reception above-ground.

And don't even try to tell me it's for safety's sake - even the MTBA doesn't attempt that. They fully admit that they already had a safety system in place, and that the reason they are wiring the tunnels is so that people can do business. ARGH! The last thing I want is to have to listen to some jerkoff in a tie yell at his suppliers about how they aren't getting enough toilet paper in their warehouse. Or something. I hate hate hate being stuck in enclosed areas, being forced to listen to people's phone conversations. I think it is perhaps one of the rudest things in the world, to subject people to listening to your half of a telephone conversation. I get so angry at those assholes who think the world revolves around them, that I'm at some points close to causing them bodily harm just to get them to realize that there - wow! - might actually be other people in their vicinity who don't want to hear all about their incredibly fascinating lives.

And does the MBTA really want to be implicit in murder, now? I highly doubt they could also afford that, on top of all of the other things they really need to fix (for starters: the old trolley cars, the leaks in the station roofs, their card system...those would have been good things to invest their money in!). I'm livid that they decided to spend money on wiring the underground areas for wireless phone access when they could have done so many more productive & wonderful things. Instead, they just subject me to more talkative assholes. Ugh. Thanks a billion, T.

No comments: