Monday, July 11, 2005

rallies & books

I'm so proud of Dan, although proud isn't quite the right word I want to use. I am so impressed by him, and his motivation when it comes to certain things, things that are important to him. He has been working so hard on organizing this rally against the CCIC's anti-immigration meeting tomorrow. He is a wonderful person, and I am lucky to have him in my life.

In other news, we went to visit Grandpa at the hospital again today; he seems all right but still very tired. I hope he will get to go home soon; I know he misses it. Afterwards, Mom, Dad, and I stopped for a beer and some calamari at the Prospect Cafe, which proceeded to get me drunk (I hadn't eaten much before that today). I don't know if I've ever really been drunk like that around my parents!! Haha. I think I held myself together pretty well, though, considering. Although I think I was a bit louder than usual... Anyway, then we stopped at the library before we returned home so I could return to work. And yes, I have another 5 books added to my already-teetering piles & piles of books. Ack! I don't think I'll ever get them done before I move...I'll be happy to get through a few of them, even, though!

Speaking of "getting through" a book, I am really digging War Fever! I just can't get over how good these stories are. It's been a long time since I've read any short stories - for a while I was big into them, especially O Henry and Salinger and the like, but ever since I really got into reading all of the "classics", I was in this mode of not wanting to waste my time on stories when I could be reading actual, entire books by Hemingway, Steinbeck, Joyce, Rand, Vonnegut! So, in any case, this is a first in a long time for me. And I'm quite enjoying it! It's so nice to be able to put the book down after one story and not have to remember what was going on when I pick it up again and start an entirely new one.

Ballard is a great writer, though - I am loving his predictions for the "future", from way back in the 80s and 90s! He is surprisingly actually very adept at predicting things, in many ways. Sure, a lot of his stories go a bit over the top, but he was also making a lot of political commentary about his own time, and what might happen if things were brought to their extremes. So I highly doubt he expected most of his stories to come to fruition in the real world.

Anyway, really good. I highly recommend it. As well as Why Girls Are Weird, which I am also thoroghly enjoying! I am so impressed by how well certain authors can really write our generation to a "T"...really neat.

Okay, well, back to sitting in front of the fan (this goddamn humidity!) and enjoying those books...hopefully I'll have new ones to post about tomorrow, or at least a new one, since I'm somewhat close to being done with the Ballard...

Currently Reading:

TITLE: War Fever
AUTHOR: J.G. Ballard


TITLE: Why Girls Are Weird
AUTHOR: Pamela Ribon

No comments: