Friday, January 21, 2005

The Inverted Forest (and a little bit of J20)

I just read this story after seeing it listed as a credit of JD Salinger's on the back of Days of War, Nights of Love. They didn't mention The Catcher in the Rye (which I'm not complaining about), but nor did they mention Franny and Zooey or Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters or any of his other works. That was the sole story listed (and, notably, it's a story and not a book), so I decided to read it to see how it seemed significant to the CrimethInc. people.

And, I have to say, I'm still working that out. But, I can at least mention that I found it to be a very engaging story. And well-written - Salinger really knows how to spin the threads of stories rather intruingingly.

But, I'll let you read that for yourself if you are at all interested.

In other news, yesterday Dan and I went to the J20 rallies in D.C. to protest Bush's inauguration. It was my first protest, so we kept it pretty low-key. We took a bus down that some Ithacans had organized, and stayed within the permitted marches and rallies. We did get to see some good action, though, and I was really glad to just be a part of that, and to be able to get my voice out there, quiet as I can be sometimes. The bonds that you feel with the others who feel as you do are incomparable. It was great to see that there are still plenty of people who are going to continue to voice their dissent and make sure they are heard, so that the nation knows that Bush's administration is terrible. As they say, "Bush isn't going anywhere...and neither are we!"

Next time, though, I think I want to get involved more with CodePink. And not just because they wear pink, hehehe. Amber is interested in going to meetings with me, too, so hopefully I will hear back from the girl who runs it in CT, and we can join up! Yay. I want to be one of those awesome CodePink ladies that I saw - some even came all the way from Michigan!

Next time it'll be the pink & the black. That'll be the way to get our voices heard. <3

No comments: